Facts & Figures

itco fleet survey 2016

ITCO Fleet Survey 2015

ITCO fleet survey 2014 cover

Despite increasingly tough trading conditions, the tank container industry showed continued growth in 2016. Figures published in this Tank Container Fleet Survey show that the global tank container fleet grew by 8.5% in 2016 compared to the previous year, with the overall figure now standing at approximately 508,000 units worldwide.

Download the Tank Container Fleet Survey 2017

458,200 tank containers: ITCO Survey shows 7.2 percent growth

The tank container industry continues to grow both in terms of the volume of cargo transported and the number of tank containers in the global fleet. The 4th Annual ITCO Tank Container Fleet Survey shows that the world’s tank container fleet grew by 7.2% compared to the Survey last year, with the total figure now standing at some 458,200 units worldwide.

Download the ITCO Tank Container Fleet Survey 2016

In 2015 there were around 444,220 tank containers in operation worldwide; this equals an increase of 12.6 percent over 2014.

Based on detailed research of tank container operators, leasing companies and other owners, the Survey provides a qualified estimate that there are some 444,220 tank containers presently in operation worldwide; this January 2015 figure, represents an increase of 12.6 percent compared to January 2014. A total of 48,200 tank container were manufactured in 2014 (up from 42,600 in 2013, and 39,700 in the previous year).

Download the ITCO Tank Container Fleet Survey 2015

In 2014 there were around 394,000 tank containers in operation worldwide; this equals an increase of 12 percent over 2013.

Of this global fleet, some 70 percent are in use by dedicated tank container operators and logistics companies, while the remaining 30 percent are operated by chemical producers and other cargo shippers, together with rail organisations, shipping lines, oil companies and military/governmental authorities.

Around 42,600 tank container were manufactured in 2014 (up from 39,700 in the previous year).

Download the ITCO Tank Container Fleet Survey 2014