Siva Narayanan, Director, International Operations & Warehousing, SOLVAY Purchasing & Supply Chain Excellence (and President of the US Shippers Association) gave a shipper’s strategy for selecting Tank Container partners, specifying certain key expectations.
These included: Safety, Creation of value, Customer centricity, Communication, Competence, Collaboration, Accountability, Empowerment, Performance & Process, Simplification and Innovation. He then went on to number of possible ways that the tank container industry could evolve, including:
- Formation of consortiums
- Interchange of tanks amongst operators to reduce empty repositioning & transportation costs
- Creation of exchanges possibly managed by neutral party such as ITCO
- Collective freight negotiations as total tank movement in a trade is very small compared to dry boxes,
- Focus on value creation through commodity handling than transportation or leasing
- Supply chain optimization by incorporating a strategy involving finance, documents, information and product movement.